Howard Development & Consulting is a friendly, flexible, and fully remote workplace. We’ve spent more than 15 years building partnerships with creative agencies around North America, and we provide our agency partners with handcrafted WordPress, custom PHP and Shopify development services.
In addition to our client services, we own MasterWP, one of the premiere WordPress industry publications – and all our employees have the opportunity to contribute to MasterWP articles and the Press the Issue podcast. We recently launched WP Wallet, a tool that helps WordPress developers buy, sell and organize their premium plugins. We own and maintain Understrap, the renowned open-source WordPress theme framework trusted by Intel, Facebook, Harvard and over 100,000 other companies and organizations.
And we’re growing.
What we offer
At Howard Development & Consulting, we prioritize diversity, autonomy, and fairness in everything we do. This means:
- An industry-leading equal pay policy
- Participation in our company-wide profit sharing plan based on a simple and transparent formula
- The flexibility to work where and when is best for you (and we’ll never ask you to put in more than 40 hours in a week)
- Four weeks of paid time off and 15 additional paid holidays per year
- Access to health insurance and 401(k)/RRSP plans
- And many other additional benefits
But most importantly, you get to work with one of the most diverse teams in tech, where your opinion is valued and no one has a monopoly on a good idea.
What we’re looking for
As a software developer at Howard Development & Consulting, you’ll have the opportunity to work on full-build WordPress projects as well as custom plugin and theme development for existing sites we manage.
Desirable skills include…
- Full-stack WordPress development experience
- Experience with Bootstrap, Underscores and jQuery
- Experience building custom WordPress themes and plugins
- If you have experience with Shopify and MVC frameworks, such as CodeIgniter and Laravel, that’s a bonus.
You don’t need…
- A college degree
- Absolute expertise in any of the above (we have lots of paid training waiting for you)
- A traditional “Silicon Valley” or “Ivy League” pedigree
We’re leading the tech industry to a better future
We don’t do industry jargon or empty platitudes – we take real, meaningful action and walk the walk on diversity, work-life balance and creating a healthy, happy and positive work experience.
Equal, Transparent Compensation: We guarantee equal pay for equal work – it’s that simple. Everyone receives a company-wide revenue share, and every team member in the same role receives identical compensation.
A Happy, Healthy and Inclusive Team: Everyone on our team enjoys location independence, complete schedule flexibility, and a company-wide focus on health and personal time. Our tech team is among the most diverse in the industry.
Carbon-Free, Today and Always: We’re lean, sustainable and committed to conservation. We’ve partnered with Carbonfund to offset emissions for everything we do, and we donate 1% of every credit card payment to carbon removal.
An inclusive and welcoming interview and hiring process
We prefer creativity and real-life, hands-on skills over accreditation and theory. We have no formal education requirements, and we encourage you to bring your natural and authentic self to every company interaction.
Here’s how our interview process works. There will be no riddles, tests or quizzes: if we decide to move forward after our initial interview, you’ll start with a paid trial project so we can see how we work together in real life.
We have a company-wide equal-pay system, which ensures you’ll be compensated identically to others in the same role. Every employee receives a profit-sharing payment every 6 months, based on a transparent formula that applies equally to the whole team.
In the U.S., employees need to average 30 hours a week to qualify for company health insurance; in Canada, the threshold is 20 hours a week.
- 100% remote; you must reside in the U.S. or Canada.
- Simple, guaranteed equal pay
- Profit-sharing for everyone
- Make your own hours, including part-time for full-time, any time of the day, any day of the week
- A relaxed, positive, inclusive atmosphere
- World-class training in every aspect of web development
- Managers who’ll protect your time, energy and health rather than pushing you to the limit
- A company-wide, absolute, uncompromising focus on allowing you to turn off work (and your phone!) at the end of the day and enjoy your life
- 15 paid holidays (all 10 federal holidays plus Juneteenth, Election Day, the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve)
- Paid time off (4 weeks per year for a 40-hour-a-week employee). We don’t do “unlimited vacation” because it’s a fake thing.
- Additional paid time off for a new child or medical emergency
- Access to excellent health, dental and vision insurance, with an employer contribution
- Access to a 401(k) retirement plan
- Access to life insurance, short-term disability insurance and long-term disability insurance
- A guaranteed annual cost-of-living adjustment, based on the percentage change adopted by the Social Security Administration each year
The starting salary for this role, based on a full-time employee at 40 hours per week, is $88,108 per year, plus profit-sharing bonuses, plus $2,136 in healthcare contributions. After 1,000 billable hours (about 6 months at 40 hours a week), you will automatically be promoted to the senior rate, which is $125,555 per year, plus profit-sharing bonuses, plus $2,136 in healthcare contributions. All U.S. employees receive equal pay regardless of location. All Canadian employees receive equivalent pay, with adjustments for exchange rate and tax rules.
We’re proud to be headquartered in Colorado and support the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
To apply, click here or e-mail us at [email protected] with your portfolio, LinkedIn profile, and a brief introduction that tells us about your work experience and your favorite types of WordPress and PHP projects. A formal resumé or CV is not required.